Basic Bechamel Sauce
This is a basic 'ROUX' and the base of many sauces. Add cheese, mustard etc. to make interesting changes.
1. Heat the milk with the bayleaf til it is warm.
2. Melt the butter in a seperate pan.
3. Add the flour and mix into the butter.
4. Cook the butter/flour mixture until it appears slightly 'foamy'.
5. Begin to add the milk a little at a time - I use a small whisk.
6. Keep the whisk moving until all the milk is incorporated.
7. Continue to cook the mix a little.
8. Keep adding the milk until the desired thickness is reached.
9. Add a few gratings of nutmeg if required.
Remember to cook the mix between adding the milk.
This is a basic 'ROUX' and the base of many sauces.
Add cheese, mustard etc. to make interesting changes.
Leave out the bayleaf and nutmeg and add sugar to make a sweet sauce.