I love to cook this as it's so easy and it can be left in a slow oven for ages. A lovely, warming late autumn or winter meal - perfect comfort food for those chilly evenings.
- 4 chicken legs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions sliced
- 1 fat garlic clove
- 250g mushrooms
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 300ml white wine
- 300ml chicken or veg stock
- Tomatoes if you want but not necessary
- Season the chicken both sides with salt and pepper.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan.
- Fry the chicken until nicely brown - don't keep moving it about and this will happen much quicker!
- Put the chicken on a plate. Leave about 2-3 tblsps. oil in the pan & fry the onions until they start to go brown - add the garlic and mushrooms when they start to soften.
- Add the tomato puree, stock and white wine.
- Put the chicken back in the pan, add the tomatoes if using and bring to a simmer.
- Cook for at least 11/2 hours* until the chicken is cooked right through.
- Can be thickened if needed. I use a buerre manie but cornflour is OK.*
Lovely with crusty baguette and/or potatoes. Bon Appetit!