Sometimes nothing can beat a slice of good old fashioned fruit loaf with a cup of tea. It's quick and easy to make - just remember to soak the fruit in tea the night before.
Fruit Tea Loaf
- 2 Earl Grey tea bags
- 4 ozs. dried cranberries
- 4 ozs. sultanas
- 2 ozs. currants
- 2 ozs. mixed peel
- 4 ozs. demerera sugar
- 8 ozs. S.R. flour
- 1 teasp. cinnamon
- 1 large egg
- The night before soak the dried fruits in tea made with the two tea bags and 12 fluid ozs water.
- The next day line a 2 lb loaf tin with parchment and heat the oven to 170 °C.
- Sieve the flour with the cinnamon.
- Mix the sugar into the flour then add to the soaked fruits.
- Add the beaten egg and mix all together well.
- Pour the mixture into the tin and bake for approx. 1 hour until firm on the top.
- Cool in the tin for 10 mins before putting on a wire rack.
- Serve sliced either plain or buttered.