|This easy to make cake makes a nice change from Victoria Sponge. It's light and moist and lovely with a cup of Earl Grey Tea.|
- Weigh the flour, margarine (or butter), sugar, eggs and the grated zest of the lemon into the bowl and whisk everything together for about 2 minutes. Heat the oven to 170°C.
- Squeeze the juice from the lemon.
- Add the lemon juice and coconut to the cake bowl and beat it all together again.
- Put the cake mixture into an 8 inch cake tin that has been lightly greased and has baking parchment in the bottom.
- Cook the cake for approx. 1 hour. Check with a wooden kebab stick - it should come out clean, without mixture sticking to it - if it needs more cooking, check every 10 minutes.
- Cool the cake on a wire rack before slicing it horizontally and spreading it with jam. Note to Self: Make sure I haven't run out of red jam before making cakes! Mine was spread with French Mirabelle jam.
- Dust the top with icing sugar or for something a little more elaborate you could make some icing and pour it over the top and let it drizzle down the sides. Lovely!
That's it! Enjoy as usual with a cup of tea and friends.
xxxNote: If you roll a lemon - or orange/lime - with the palm of your hand, you will get lots more juice out of it. ;~)