This tangy cake is just so easy to make - no creaming the butter and sugar with this one, just weigh everything into the bowl and mix.
After melting the marmalade give it all another mix and thats it .... a simple cake to make. The better the quality of the marmalade, the better the taste of the cake.
- Weigh all the cake ingredients and the grated zest of the orange into the bowl ready for mixing. Heat the oven to 180°C.
- Gently melt the marmalade either in a small pan on the hob or in the microwave. Mix the yoghurt into the melted marmalade and let the mixture cool slightly.
- Add the poppyseeds (if using) to the cake bowl and beat it all together with an electric whisk.
- Add the marmalade and yoghurt mixture and quickly whisk it up again. Put the mixture into a loaf tin.
- Cook in the middle of the oven for 1 hour but check after 45 minutes. If it's starting to go brown too quickly cover loosely with some parchment paper. Check for 'doneness' with a wooden kebab stick - it should come out clean.
When the cakes cooked leave it in the tin for 10 minutes or so. Dissolve 2 tablespoons of sugar in the juice from the orange and pour over the warm cake. Then, if you want, melt some chocolate and pour on the top.
That's it! Enjoy as usual with a cup of tea and friends.