Spicy Sausage, Pumpkin & Bean Stew
- 500 grms Butternut Squash or pumpkin
- Olive Oil
- Large Onion
- 3 Fat cloves of garlic
- 100 grms spicy Italian/Spanish sausage i.e. Cabanossi or Chorizo
- 1 Red Pepper
- 1 Green Pepper
- I Red chili
- Tin kidney beans
- Tin chopped tomatoes
- Tablesp. brown sugar
- Salt, pepper, tabasco, chili sauce, Worcestershire sauce, lemon or lime juice
- Cook the chopped onion in the olive oil for 5 mins until cooked but not browned.
- Add chili, garlic & chopped sausage and fry for about 5 minutes until the sausage starts to brown.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, pepper, brown sugar, 200mls water and simmer for about 10 minutes while you prepare the squash.
- Peel and de-seed the squash or pumpkin then cut into half inch pieces.
- Check the pan and add the pumpkin, beans and another 150 mls. water or stock. Add some chili sauce and/or tabasco to your taste.
- Cover the pan and simmer for around 30 mins or until everything's cooked - stir now and then.
- If need be simmer a bit longer without the lid to reduce - the chili should be thick and well reduced down.
- Add seasonings to your liking - hot is good!
- When you're ready to eat stir in some chopped herbs, if you have some and serve with rice or crusty bread and red wine, of course.