Shepherds or Cottage Pie
- 8-10 ozs. minced beef or lamb
- 3 smallish onions
- 3 carrots
- 1 teasp. Worchestershire Sauce
- 2 Oxo cubes
- 2 level tablesps. flour
- 12 fluid ozs. stock - beef for beef, lamb for lamb
- Approx. 3 lb. good mashing potatoes
- Peel the potatoes ready for boiling.
- Peel and chop the onions and carrots and mix with the mince.
- Dry fry the meat and veg fairly briskly for 5 minutes stirring all the time.
- Put the potatoes on to cook.
- Crumble in the cubes and sprinkle the flour over the mixture.
- Add the water and stir until it comes to the boil and thickens.
- Cover the pan and simmer for 20 minutes.
- When the potatoes are cooked mash them but don't make them as 'soft' as you might usually - a firmer, dryer mash is better for this dish. The potatoes won't just disappear into a soupy mixture but will crisp and brown nicely instead.
- If the meat mixture needs to be thickened a bit now's the time to do that.
- Pour the meat into an oven proof dish and carefully arrange the potatoes over the top. Try to make sure the potatoes go right to the edge of the dish to help prevent the gravy bubbling out.
- Cook for either 10 minutes under a hot grill or (preferred) 30 minutes in a hot oven. 190-200°C
Serve with vegetables and extra gravy.