Meat & Potato Pie
- *Pastry* made with 10 ozs flour and 5 ozs fat.
- 8 ozs minced beef
- 2 onions
- 2 carrots or half a small swede/turnip
- 2 potatoes
- 2 Oxo or Bovril stock cubes
- 1 heaped tablesp. tomato puree
- Dash of Worcestershire sauce (or to your taste)
- 2 level tablesps. flour
- Chopped herbs - optional
- Dice the vegetables quite small. Put the potatoes into a bowl of cold water.
- Mix the onions and carrots with the mince and fry briskly in a saute pan for around 5 minutes. There is no need to add any fat or oil to the pan - the beef will release enough.
- Add the tomato puree, crumbled cubes, Worcestershire sauce, seasoning and the flour. Also add chopped herbs if you like.
- Continue to stir the mix for 2 minutes to cook the flour then slowly add 6 fluid ozs. of water.
- Add the drained potatoes then cover the pan and simmer for 15 minutes until the vegetables are cooked. Heat the oven to 180°C.
- When the meat/veg mixture has cooled, roll out the pastry to line a square pie dish - mines 8" x 8".
- Add the filling and roll out the rest of the pastry to make the lid.
- Decorate the pie with the leftover pastry, brush with egg or milk and cook for around 35 minutes.
- Best served hot but can be eaten cold too.