Boozy Chicken Casserole
- 2 large chicken legs
- 2 tablesps. flour
- Salt and black pepper
- 2 tablesps. olive oil
- 6 shallots or small onions
- 4 ozs mushrooms - optional
- 1 sweet red pepper
- 500 mls. light beer
- 2 tablesps. brandy
- 1 carton cream
- Begin by dividing the chicken legs into drumsticks and thighs.
- Coat the chicken with the flour that's been seasoned with salt and pepper.
- Heat the olive oil and saute the chicken so it is browned all round.
- While that cooking prepare the vegetables - cut the shallots or onions into halves or wedges, carrots into sticks and pepper into strips.
- When the chicken's browned remove it to a plate and saute the onions and carrots for 5 minutes.
- Add the pepper strips and continue to saute for 1 minute.
- Add the brandy and carefully ignite - you can leave that step out if you want to.
- Add the beer and scrape any bits from the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon.
- Return the chicken to the pan. Add and mushrooms if using. Cover and simmer for around 1 hour* or until the chicken is cooked right through.
- When the chicken is cooked reduce the liquid, if necessary, to about half a pint.
- Add the cream just before serving and heat through.