and my girls (or at least one of them) remember - and I must say, loved - them. So my quest goes on and will do until I find the best I can. This one comes closes I must say.
Bean and Corn Burger
- I 14 oz. can of kidney beans in chili sauce
- Half small red onion
- 1 teasp. olive oil
- 1 Red or Green Chili
- Half sweet red pepper
- 1 teasp. ground or whole cumin seeds
- Chili flakes (optional)
- 2 - 3 ozs, canned sweetcorn
- 2 ozs. wholemeal breadcrumbs
- Gently fry the onion in the oil until it's soft - around 5 minutes.
- Add the chili and pepper and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add the cumin and chili flakes (if using) and cook for another 1 minute.
- Meanwhile mash the drained kidney beans roughly keeping them fairly coarse.
- Add the cooked onion/chili mixture.
- Add the sweetcorn and breadcrumbs and mix well.
- Shape into 4 balls and pop in the fridge for at least 30 minutes but up to 24 hours (if you can be that organized)
- Flatten into burger shapes and either: 1. Fry gently in hot oil for 5 minutes on each side or 2. Cook in a pre-heated oven (190°C) on baking parchment for 10 minutes each side.
- Serve however you like your burgers.
(Click on any photo to enlarge)
Will be trying with wholemeal rolls next time ..... maybe at the next BBQ