Lentil & Bean Chili
- 1 Large onion - chopped
- 2 Carrots - sliced
- 1 clove of garlic - crushed
- 1 tablesp. olive oil
- 1 teasp. hot chili powder
- Large pinch of cumin, cinnamon & smoked paprika
- 1 Sweet red pepper
- Can tomatoes - chopped if whole
- 10 fl.ozs. stock or half white wine/half water
- 3 ozs. Red lentils
- 1 tablesp. tomato puree
- 4 ozs. frozen peas
- Can red kidney beans
- 2 teasps. chipotle chili paste
- Cook the onion and carrots slowly in the oil for 10 minutes until softening but not brown. Add the garlic half way through.
- Add the spices - not the paste - and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the washed and drained lentils and pepper and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the tomato puree, tomatoes, peas and stock and bring slowly to the boil.
- Simmer until the lentils are cooked - about 20 - 30 minutes.
- Add the chipotle paste, black pepper and kidney beans.
- Simmer slowly for 15 - 20 minutes before serving with rice, soured cream or however you like your chili.
(Click on any photo to enlarge