Rhubarb Streusel Coffee Cake
- 450 grams prepared rhubarb (cut into half inch pieces)
- 2 - 3 tablesps. breadcrumbs - white or brown
- 2 tablesps. sugar mixed with half teasp. cinnamon
- 150 grams flour
- 75 grams butter
- 50 grams sugar
- 1 egg yolk mixed with 1 tablesp. milk
- 100 grams flour
- 100 grams sugar
- 100 grams ground almonds
- 1 teasp. cinnamon
- 140 grams butter (chilled)
- Sieve the flour and cut in the butter (rub in with your fingertips if you prefer but this is very sticky)
- Stir in the sugar.
- Add the beaten egg yolk with water.
- Mix to a dough, form into a ball and put in the fridge while you prepare the topping.
- Grease and base line a 10 inch - 26 cm - flan tin.
- Mix the first 4 ingredients in a bowl.
- Cut in the butter until it looks like lumpy breadcrumbs.
- Gently roll the base dough to fit the base and slightly up the sides of the dish. Roll carefully to roughly fit then lift into the dish and ease to fit with your fingers.
- Sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the base dough.
- Cover with the rhubarb and sprinkle with the 2 teasps. sugar.
- Sprinkle over the topping and bake for 55 mins at 175°C until light golden brown.
- Serve warm or cold - with or without creme fraiche or Greek yogurt
(Click on any photo to enlarge).