- 1 lb. peeled potatoes
- Half a red onion
- 6 ozs smoked mackerel fillets
- 8 capers
- Zest and juice from 1 lemon (unwaxed)
- 1 teasp. wholegrain mustard
- Pepper - fresh ground black
- 1 slice of wholemeal bread made into breadcrumbs.
- Boil the potatoes as usual until soft.
- Finely chop the onion and capers.
- Gently scrape the skin from the mackerel and break into pieces.
- Mash the potatoes and add the onion,capers and pepper.
- Add the zest and some of the juice from the lemon.
- Mix it all together and shape into 4-6 fishcakes.
- Coat in the breadcrumbs.
- Cook* on a lined baking tray in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until browned.
(Click on any photo to enlarge)
Verdict: They were tasty and I would have them again. We had ours with salad today but I think these would be nice as 'burgers' as well in the BBQ season.