However, we've recently been pushed into taking diet even more seriously than we did before and getting the right balance between 'good for you' and 'boring' can be difficult. I think we all know we should eat more fish and mackerel is particularly tasty, healthy and economical as well. Give these simple to make fishcakes a go - you'll enjoy them and they're good for you too!
- 1 lb. peeled potatoes
- Half a red onion
- 6 ozs smoked mackerel fillets
- 8 capers
- Zest and juice from 1 lemon (unwaxed)
- 1 teasp. wholegrain mustard
- Pepper - fresh ground black
- 1 slice of wholemeal bread made into breadcrumbs.
- Boil the potatoes as usual until soft.
- Finely chop the onion and capers.
- Gently scrape the skin from the mackerel and break into pieces.
- Mash the potatoes and add the makerel, onion,capers and pepper.
- Add the zest and some of the juice from the lemon.
- Mix it all together and shape into 4-6 fishcakes.
- Coat in the breadcrumbs.
- Cook* on a lined baking tray in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until browned.
* You can also shallow fry the fishcakes if you prefer. Heat a small amount of oil in a frying pan and fry them for 3-4 minutes on each side. This will produce a better colour fishcake but will add to the fat content.
(Click on any photo to enlarge)