Spicy Bean Burgers
- Small onion chopped fine
- Fresh chili - any type
- 1 dessertsp. best olive oil
- 14 oz. can red kidney beans - rinsed and drained well
- 2 ozs. wholemeal breadcrumbs
- 1 tablesp. sweet chili sauce
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a small pan and gently fry the onion and chili for 5 minutes.
- Mash the kidney beans with a potato masher - keep it fairly coarse.
- Mix the breadcrumbs, beans, onion, chili and chili sauce together.
- Shape into 4 burgers and leave in the fridge if time allows.
- Either cook in the oven (190°C) on a parchment-lined baking tray for 25 minutes (spray lightly on both sides) or fry in a lightly sprayed frying pan for 6-8 minutes on each side.
- These are nice served in wholemeal rolls with salad, salsa and soured cream (or low fat quark) or with oven roasted wedges.
(Click on any photo to enlarge)
..... better served in rolls with the salsa and flavoured sour cream though ;~)