Spicy Lentil & Bean Soup with Cheesy Croutons
- 5 ozs. red lentils
- 2 teasps. whole cumin seeds
- 1 teasp. dried chili flakes - or to your taste
- 2 teasps. olive oil
- Large onion
- 1 carrot
- Tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 pints of water - or stock if you prefer
- 2-3 cold cooked potatoes
- 1 tin mixed beans, pinto beans or cannelloni beans
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Chop the onion and carrot into small pieces.
- Dry fry the cumin and chili in a hot saucepan.
- Add the oil and fry the onion and carrot gently for 5 minutes.
- Add the washed lentils, water, tomatoes and pepper.
- Bring gently to the boil and transfer to a slow cooker.
- After 5 - 6 hours or so (depending on your slow cooker) liquidise the soup with a stick blender if you like blended soups. We do.
- Add the potatoes and mixed beans and heat through.
- Check the seasoning and serve piping hot with cheesy croutons and crusty rolls.
(Click on the photos to enlarge)
If you don't want to cook the soup in a slow cooker just cook for 40 minutes at step 5 and continue as the recipe.
Lovely winter warming comfort food.