Sultana Ginger and Lemon Scones
- 10 ozs. S.R.Flour
- 1 teasp. Baking Powder
- Half teasp. bi-carb
- 4 ozs.butter or margarine
- 3 ozs. sugar
- 2 ozs. sultanas
- 2 ozs. crystalized ginger
- Zest from I large unwaxed lemon
- 5 fl. ozs. buttermilk*
- Heat oven to 200°C. Sieve the flour,baking powder and bi-carb into a bowl.
- Add the sugar.
- Rub in the butter/marg. (quickly and lightly)
- Mix in the sultanas and chopped up ginger.
- Add the buttermilk and quickly mix to a soft dough.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured board and knead gently - shape into a 7-8 inch circle, 1 1/2 inches thick.
- Cut into eight pieces and put onto a lined baking tray.
- Brush with milk and sprinkle with sugar. (I used cinnamon sugar)
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack.
(Click on any photo to enlarge)
These were lovely with or without butter and a nice cup of tea.