Thai Bean Burgers
- 1 Tin drained and rinsed Butter Beans
- 1 Clove of garlic - crushed
- 1 Red chili - chopped finely
- 1 Red onion - chopped finely
- 1 Piece of ginger - peeled and grated
- 1 Unwaxed lemon - juice and zest
- 2 teasps. light soy sauce
- 2 slices wholemeal bread made into breadcrumbs
- Fresh parsley (dried if you have none will do - just!)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Put the garlic, chili, onion, ginger, parsley, half the lemon juice, lemon zest and soy into a small blender and blend to a paste.
- Mash the butterbeans roughly.
- Add the breadcrumbs and blended paste to the beans and mix well.
- Shape into 4 balls and put in the fridge for about an hour. (or longer)
- Put the dried breadcrumbs on a tea plate.
- Flatten the burgers gently into burger shapes and lightly press into the breadcrumbs.
- Lightly spray the burgers with oil and fry for 3-4 minutes on each side until cooked through and golden.
- Alternately place on a parchment lined baking tray - lightly spray the parchment with oil - bake in the oven 200°C for 20 minutes turning halfway through.
(Click on any photo to enlarge)
I served these burgers with ciabatta rolls, rocket & field salad and low-fat creme fraiche flavoured with lemon zest, lemon juice and black pepper.