Bacon & Potato Hotpot
- Bacon and Potato Hotpot2015-02-02 07:10:56
- 4 medium potatoes thinly sliced
- 2 onions thinly sliced
- 4 - 6 rashers smoked bacon cut into pieces
- 1 pint of vegetable stock
- coarse ground black pepper
- Put a third of the onions into the bottom of a casserole dish.
- Cover the onions with a third of the potatoes.
- Cover the potatoes with a third of the bacon.
- Season each layer with black pepper but no salt as the bacon has enough.
- Continue to layer the ingredients into the dish but end with a layer of potatoes.
- Pour the hot stock into the dish until it can be seen just below the top layer. You may need more than a pint.
- Brush the top layer of potatoes with a little olive oil if you want - this will help the potatoes to crisp.
- Cover with a lid or foil and cook at 150°C for 90 minutes then check to see if the potatoes are soft.
- Add more stock as needed.
- Remove the lid, turn the oven up to 180°C and continue to cook until the potatoes brown and crisp.
- Serve with a leafy green vegetable such as baby sweetheart cabbage.