There was a chill in the air today saying Autumn's on the way. That's all it takes for me to make a big pan of thick soup - comfort food at its best.cipe Card
Lentil & Barley Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium onions chopped
- 3 medium carrots sliced
- 2 ribs of celery chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 8 ozs. green lentils rinsed
- 4 ozs. pearl barley rinsed
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 2 small red chilis very finely chopped
- 3 pints vegetable stock
- 1/4 smallish green cabbage finely shredded
- Black pepper.
- Saute the onion, carrot and celery gently for 10 minutes.
- Add all the remaining ingredients except the cabbage.
- Bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer the soup for approx. 30 mins.
- Add the cabbage and cook for a further 15 minutes or until the lentils are cooked.
- If the soup needs more liquid add some water or stock.
- If the soup isn't as thick as you'd like just raise the heat and simmer until the consistency is to your liking.
- Serve with thick, crusty bread.