Lentil Shepherds' Pie
- 1 tablesp. olive oil
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 2 carrots finely diced
- 1 parsnip finely diced
- 7 ozs. red lentils
- Pinch za'tar seasoning (or cumin)
- Bay leaf
- 1 tin tomatoes
- 6 fl. ozs. red wine
- 1 pint water or vegetable stock
- Salt & pepper
- 2 lb. potatoes
- 2 parsnips
- Small amount of butter & milk for mashing the potatoes
- Heat the oil in a large saute pan.
- Gently fry the onions, carrots and parsnips for 10 minutes.
- Add the washed lentils, bay leaf, za'tar, wine**, tomatoes & stock.
- Bring to the boil & simmer gently for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are soft. Add more liquid if needed.
- In the meantime, peel and cut the potatoes and parsnips, if using, for the mash.
- Boil and simmer until soft. Mash with milk and butter.
- Season the lentil mix and place in an ovenproof dish.
- Top with the mash and sprinkle with cheese if you want.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven - 180°C - for approx. 30 minutes until the top is browned and crispy.
- * Serve with a green vegetable & gravy.
- ** If you don't want to use wine just add more stock or water.