It was cold today and when it's cold I want to eat soup - what could be better than a bowl of hot, thick soup and a chunk of bread when it's close to freezing outside. I had a look in the fridge and around the kitchen and found a butternut squash, sweet potato and the usual veg. I found this recipe on Pinterest by "From the Kitchen" and modified it slightly to what I had in. Don't be put off by the long list of ingredients - just measure out and prepare all the ingredients - the end result is worth the effort. Oh, and I cooked mine in the slow cooker.
Spicy Butternut and Lentil Soup
- 1 tablesp. olive oil
- 1 1/2 teasps. whole cumin seeds
- 1 teasp. garam masala
- 1 teasp. curry powder
- 2 teasp. tumeric
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 green chili finely chopped
- 1 red chili finely chopped
- 1 tablesp. grated ginger
- 1 tablesp. tomato paste
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 2 teasps. honey
- 1 med. butternut squash peeled and cubed
- 1 large sweet potato peeled and cubed
- 1 large potato peeled and cubed
- 2 carrots chopped
- 1 1/3rd cups red lentils well rinsed
- 1250 mls. stock or water
- Salt & pepper
- 1/2 sachet coconut cream
- Greek yogurt (or any other thick yogurt) and cumin seeds
- Nan bread to serve
- Heat the oil and fry the spices for 2 minutes.
- Add the onion, chili, ginger, tomato paste and honey, mix well and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook gently for another 5 minutes.
- Add the vegetables, mix well and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the lentils and stock, bring to the boil and transfer to the crock pot.
- Cook on high for 3 hours and low for another 2-3 hours.
- Add the seasoning and coconut cream.
- The soup can be served as it is or pureed. I took out a quarter of the soup and pureed it with a stick blender then mixed it back into the remaining soup. This keeps it nice and chunky.
- *We had ours with nan bread.