Boston Baked Beans
- 250 grams dried haricot beans or a bean mix
- Thick cut bacon or bacon chunks
- Tablesp. sunflower oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 tablesp. black treacle
- 35 grams soft brown sugar
- 3 tablesps. tomato puree
- 1 tablesp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teasp. mustard (I used Dijon but Colemans would be good)
- 1 teasp. smoked paprika
- 2 cloves garlic
- Soak the beans overnight.
- Fry the chopped onion in the oil (in a large saucepan) until soft and lightly browned.
- Add the drained beans and cook according to the packet instructions. The haricots took an hour.
- Drain the beans and save the cooking liquid.
- Heat the oven to 150 degrees.
- Put the drained beans into a large casserole dish with all the other ingredients and stir well. Add the lumps of bacon and enough of the drained liquid to cover the beans.
- Cover and cook for around 3 hours then remove the lid and cook for a further 20 - 30 minutes to thicken the sauce.
- ** Good served with homemade bread. We had Cinco de Mayo which is a corn, chili and jalepeno bread.