Smoky Vegetarian Chili
- 1 onion - chopped
- 1 stick of celery - chopped
- 1 red pepper - chopped
- 1 clove of garlic - - crushed
- 1-2 teasps. smoked chipotle paste
- 1 teasp. hot chili powder
- Half teasp. cumin powder
- 1 tin toms - chopped
- Handful of mushrooms - chopped
- 1 tin rosecrea beans - drained and rinsed
- Half tin sweetcorn
- 150 mls. red wine or water
- 1 teasp. herbs - I used oregano and basil
- Balsamic vinegar to taste
- Lime juice
- In a large saute pan heat 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Gently saute the onion and celery for 10 minutes.
- Add the pepper and garlic and continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the chili powder, cumin and chipotle paste and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, chopped mushrooms, 100 mls water, 150 mls. red wine (or water) and the herbs and bring to the boil then simmer gently for 30 minutes.
- Add the beans and sweetcorn and simmer for a further 10 minutes or until the consistency is fairly thick or how you like it.
- Check the seasoning and add balsamic and lime juice to taste.
- * Serve with rice and/or garlic bread, grated cheese and soured cream.
- ** I've substituted ingredients in this dish with sweet potato, carrot and butternut squash.