Spicy Vegetable Patties
- 8oz plain flour
- 1 heaped teasp. ground turmeric
- Pinch salt
- 4oz cold butter, cut into small cubes
- 4-5 tbsp cold water
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1 red pepper cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 6 oz carrots peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 10oz butternut squash peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2in piece fresh root ginger grated
- 4 spring onions trimmed and finely chopped
- 7oz canned sweetcorn kernels drained and rinsed
- 4oz Cheddar cheese grated
- 2 red bird's eye chilis very finely chopped
- Heat the oven to 200°C - 180°C for a fan oven.
- Gently boil the pepper, carrots and butternut squash for about 5 minutes until the vegetables are tender then drain well.
- Add these to the remaining filling ingredients, mix well and leave them to cool.
- Next make the pastry by seiving together the flour, turmeric and salt in a bowl until well combined.
- Add the butter and rub into the flour until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the water, mix to a dough then wrap and put in the fridge for 30 minutes or so.
- Lightly knead the pastry and cut out 4 saucer size circles.
- Divide the filling mixture between the pastry circles, pasty style and leaving a border round the edge.
- Brush the edges of the pastry with water then fold the pastry over the filling and seal with a fork.
- Brush the top of the patties with beaten egg or milk and cook for 20 - 25 minutes until they're golden brown.
- *Serve with salad and/or oven baked wedges.