Moroccan Lentil and Carrot Soup
- 2 tablesps olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 6 med. carrots, peeled & chopped
- Half teasp. cumin
- 1 teasp. turmeric
- 1 teasp. paprika
- Pinch cinnamon
- 250 grams red lentils, rinsed
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 3 pints vegetable stock
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- Sauté the onion and garlic until soft.
- Add the carrots and sauté until carrots are tender about 10-12 minutes.
- Add the spices and sauté for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock, diced tomatoes and lentils.
- Bring to the boil and then simmer gently until the lentils are cooked and soft. Around 20 minutes.
- At this stage the soup can be served either as it is or blended to make it thick and creamy.
- Or, you can add a large handful or two of greens - spinach, chard or kale etc - cook just long enough to wilt them.
- I added Cavolo Nero to the soup and cooked it for 5 minutes.
- Serve with crusty bread.